Visual CE® FAQ
NOTE: Additional information can be found in our "Tip of the Month Archive".
The most commonly asked question:
V1) Pre-sales questions:
V2) Installation questions:
V3) Downloading and Synchronization questions:
- V3-a) I just downloaded data from Access, but I can't find it on the Windows CE device. Where is it?
- V3-b) How can I move data from my old HP 100LX or HP 200LX into Visual CE?
- V3-c) Can Visual CE synchronize with a Microsoft Access database? What other types of databases can Visual CE synchronize to?
- V3-d) I downloaded a table and now I get the error, "Tables not compatible for synchronization" when I try to synchronize. Why?
- V3-e) When I synchronize I want to move the records from the Windows CE device to the desktop and then remove them from the handheld. How do I do this?
- V3-f) When I synchronize, Microsoft Access gives me the message, "Field can't be a zero-length string". How do I fix this?
- V3-g) Do I have to do anything special to synchronize with SQL Server?
- V3-h) When I set the "Synchronize on connect" box, I get these annoying messages "Starting Synchronization" and "Synchronization Complete". Is there any way to turn this off?
- V3-i) When I try to synchronize, I get a message that says, "Field cannot be updated" or "You tried to assign the Null value to a variable that isn't a VARIANT datatype". What is this and how can I fix the problem?
- V3-j) When I try to synchronize with Access, I get the message "[Microsoft][ODBC Microsoft Access Driver]Datetime field overflow (null)". What is this and how can I fix the problem?
- V3-k) Is there anything I can do to make synchronization faster?
- V3-l) When I use FILE | DOWNLOAD to download data from an Excel speadsheet, why is the list of tables empty?
- V3-m) When I use Pocket Access databases (*.cdb files) and Microsoft's Active Sync's database synchronization, why aren't the changes on the handheld being sent to the desktop database?
- V3-n) If I create a table on the handheld, why doesn't it show up in the list of FILE | SYNCHRONIZE tables on the desktop?
- V3-o) I get the error "You do not have the necessary permissions to use the <<.mdb file>> object. Have your system administrator or the person who created this object establish the appropriate permissions for you." when I try to synchronize to an Access database (.MDB file). Why?
- V3-p) When using Excel files, why do I see the error "[Microsoft][ODBC Excel Driver]Operation must use an updateable query."?
V4) Usage questions:
V5) Professional, Enterprise and MobileSuite questions: